Saturday 28 January 2012

Put your hands up

Several days ago, our lecturer told us to do an individual presentation for our next class. Few days before the presentation, I was having a panic attack as I'm not really sure on how to do it. I asked my friends and clearly they were not quite sure as well. While I was busy bugging my friends through facebook and text messages, my mum came up to me and said "Why don't you email your lecturer, ask him about it?"

I was terrified by this idea.

I have to admit, when I entered UBD, I barely went up to my lecturers to ask for guidance. Especially after a mind-numbing lecture, I will ask my friends if they understand. Most of them will reply "I don't get it either." And we will all just quietly accept that fact. I don't know why we don't have the courage to just raise our hands in class and tell the lecturer we don't understand. I'm sure I am not the only one who feel this way.

Does this only happen among Asian students? When we need to meet up with the lecturer, we will bring our friends along even though they don't need to be there. I know I never once raised my hand in class from primary school up until now (sometimes I do but rarely). There are several reasons why I would not ask the lecturer for help, one of them are I am afraid I would not understand even after the lecturer explained again. It is scary to know that you're not able to grasp the idea and that you feel like you are not smart enough to understand. I'm also afraid I will annoy the lecturer. This happen to me in primary school, where I asked my math teacher to explain to me again about some math problem. His reaction: He sighed and rolled his eyes at me. I regretted asking and hated maths after that (I need to get over this trauma.). I could list out all my reasons but I know it will not help me in my studies. It will only cause me to feel regrets for not taking the opportunities that was presented to me.

I am ashamed knowing that I am not assertive enough to stand on my ground, demanding asking the lecturer to help me in my studies. I need to change. All we need to do is just put our hands up and ask.   Do you have the same problem? Or is it just me?

p/s: Maybe it's just me.

5 comments:

  1. It is very sad that a bad experience in primary school should stay with you throughout your life. But it is not surprising -- we all undergo experiences like that.

    I wonder whether the unwillingness to ask questions might not be especially common in Islamic societies. It does seem that acceptance of religious teaching without questioning is a hallmark of Islam, or maybe of all established religions. What do you think?

    It is also possible that encouraging students to ask questions has a negative side. Maybe societies where students feel free to question authority tend to be rather chaotic. So perhaps respect for authority has a positive side to it, resulting in an orderly and peaceful society.

    But I tend to agree that students in a university setting should be encouraged to ask questions. So do feel free to ask me when something is not clear. Or even when it is clear, but you feel you have something to contribute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that sometimes religious teaching does contribute to this. Because people tend to take things for granted, they only take things on face value. And they carry this attitude in school as well. Just accepting things without questioning them.

      But if people do take time to understand Islam, I believe they will actually be motivated and not be passive towards the world.and I do believe that students need to be more assertive :)

      Delete
  2. Try finding lecturers in their office, and soon after you will realize that you are in their office again. x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it last week, and I miraculously stayed for nearly 30 minutes without thinking of getting out :D I think I manage to irritate my lecturers XD

      Delete
  3. I understand what you mean and think it happens to all of us. I used to be told off in primary and secondary school for asking too much, teachers actually dislike it if we ask too much even if its on important subjects that we don't understand. I find this irritating and hence most of us actually learn to be quiet and accept the fact that the teacher is always right. even many uni educated teachers (who are local but trained overseas) who teach at primary/secondary schools act this way. I find this a horrid attitude, my students and others told me of a few which I and some parents would want to report them to the MOE for rubbish teaching skills. Do you think it is right for a teacher to call their students "stupid" for asking something they do not understand?

    But then again its up to us to change this mindset. If I were to be a teacher, I'd let my students speak up and not be afraid;of course at certain times but not tell them off for it. So don't be ashamed if you're afraid to raise your hand, we're all pretty much the same. Or go solo to meet lecturers, I'm particularly fond of picking on Gary,but he's not always in. haha.

    ReplyDelete