Monday 13 February 2012

I see no difference...

Me: So unconsciously, I...

Friend: Sub- consciously.

Me: Excuse me?

Friend: You said unconsciously, how can you do something when you are unconscious?

This happened last week. I was talking about something with my friend when she interrupted me. This kind of made me think. I actually laughed when she asked me that question [I am not laughing at my friend but laughing at the thought of me doing things when I am unconscious].

I am actually glad that my friend pointed it out. The usage of unconsciously and sub-consciously.So which one is right? I honestly don't know. I have to say I am embarrass to admit I don't really know which one to use. I tried looking it through the internet [I don't usually ask people because I don't want them to answer like this] and they don't show the difference. Am I missing something?

I think English is a mystery, I could never stop learning English.

p/s: Help?


1 comment:

  1. 'unconsciously' means without your consciousness being involved, not that you were unconscious when you did something. 'sub-consciously' often refers to Freud's theory of a subconscious where repressed thoughts go, so I mostly avoid that word.

    ReplyDelete